Monday, January 18, 2010

Minimizing Winnings (lol)

Ok, so a table you're sitting at is really good. You're catching hands, stealing blinds, and reading souls. You run your stack up to two or two and a half buy-ins, but then the fish go bust and the table breaks. Do you go right to the cake browser and find a new table to sit at?

I don't.

So far this challenge, when my good table breaks, so does my session. This doesnt mean I immediately leave the other 3 tables I'm sitting at, but it does mean I've probably only got another 10-15 minutes of play in me and I won't be sitting down anywhere new. The reason for this is that I feel I play suboptimally when I'm sitting on one to two buy-ins of winnings. I play tighter than normal to "protect" my profit and get really frustrated if I punt off those couple buy-ins at another table. If that happens, even though I still may be break-even over the session, I feel like I'm down and need to chase after those previous winnings. This is not a recipe for success.

This means I'm really minimizing my winnings and not pushing my luck and riding my heaters as much as I could be, but to me doing that isn't worth the risk of me blowing up and turning a winning session into a massively losing one.

I'm curious what (and why) other people are doing in spots like this?

3 comments:

royalbacon said...

I haven’t been around for a lot of tables breaking down while playing, so I can’t speak to that, whether up or not. What I can talk to, though, is willingly leaving a table when up. I’m sticking with the Ferguson rule of leaving a table if you have more than 10% of your bankroll sitting on the table. I’ve done that a few times, and will continue to do so. I don’t find myself ractively eacting on other tables based on the actions of that previous table, although I do find myself tallying my wins/losses across all tables throughout a session to see where I am overall at that given point. Perhaps that is affecting me subconsciously, but I don’t believe it is.

The only active time where my hand selection is affected by my chip stack is when I get to a super-short stack and I’m not wanting to rebuy. In those cases I’ll be shoving more, to mixed results.

royalbacon said...

How come I can’t subscribe to comments on your blog, Chuck?

royalbacon said...

Nevermind, I found the link.