Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Don't Be A Hero

Short session tonight that ended with me up about $3. I did have a big take away from the session though: I don't think there's any need to make hero calls at these levels. I have a really hard time with this because I find villains often playing bizarre lines that mean I can't put them on hands, but calling down thin is marginal and there's no need to put yourself in marginal spots in these games.

Some hands from the session:
Here I have QJ and basically thought it was the nuts when the river double paired. I figured at the time that I could get some value from a lower high card hand card when villain thought I was full of shit, but I should be checking back that river 100%. The call of his raise is very heroic and very bad. Spewey hand that I was kicking myself about after the fact.

I have 55 in this hand and, while I don't think a call here is terrible per se, it is marginal and I have so little invested in that pot that it is completely unnecessary.

This is kind of an interesting spot. I have AQ vs the short stack on this super dry board. I decided not to call with my overs and just move on to the next hand, thoughts from the peanut gallery?

2 comments:

royalbacon said...

On the AQ bet/fold hand, I’m doing exactly what you did here, almost every time. As you mention at the top of your post, there’s no need for the hero call at these levels. You’re going to lose more than you gain.

I’m thinking that guy had an under-pocket pair to your AQ, fwiw. He could also have A3 or A7, given he was the BB. In any case, you’re behind.

Adam said...

As painful as it is to agree with Royal, I do. Even if he's bluffing you, how good can you be?