Monday, January 18, 2010

Hands From An Up And Down Session

Ran really good at the end of my last session to finish marginally up. Some interesting hands:

Here I was setting myself up to shove the river but abandoned ship when the 4th broadway card rivered. I don't think I would have gotten called by anything but a J once the river comes, but I never know at these stakes.

This was a really tough spot. I have AsKd. With the Ad I think I'm shoving over his raise, but even if this guy is pushing a draw he could have me crushed. Interestingly, if villain has jacks or queens here, I'm a favorite.

Here is an interesting hand on a lot of levels. Pre I don't respect this guys button min-raise and make a play to pick up the dead money. I wasn't planning on cbetting once called 4 ways, but I hit my ace and could rep a better kicker than I had. I think my cbet was too big and I should have just 1/2 potted it. When it checked around the turn no one seemed to like the hearts so I decided to take a shot at the river (no, that wasn't a value shove). The button tanked forever, and even for a micro-stakes showdown monkey I'm surprised he made the hero call.

I have AQ here and at the time thought I was turning my hand into a bluff, trying to fold out a weak king. In retrospect, I don't think it was a very good play, but I haven't thought about what I would do on the turn if I just called.

My last interesting NLHE hand of the session was a big one. Villain was taking a long time before calling each street, and I really couldn't put him on a hand that beat mine. At the time I thought for sure he had a jack, and was expecting to see J9-QJ when he called.

Finally, I'll whine about a few PLO hands I lost :)

Here I look to either take it down pre or isolate with a good rundown. I was basically fist-pumping when I saw the short-stacks hand, but so it goes. For those of you interesting in PLO, I am a 59/41 favorite against an underpair and an over, which is pretty close to as good as it gets pre in PLO without pair over pair.

This hand is pretty standard. I'm looking to get it in on that flop as the only hand I'm really worried about is a set of jacks. I have the ace of clubs and it's hard for someone to hit a J24 flop with a hand worth calling a PSB pre, unless they hit a set or overs + FD. Of course, people don't always select hands preflop that you would like them to :)

1 comment:

Marshall said...

Good post. I really like the river shove on the KQ vs Q2 hand. You are likely calling anyway, and I think there are actually a fair amount of hands that this guy just goes with like any top pair type hands. One other possibility that I can see is putting him on like J9, and then checking the river to let him bluff. But I still like just shoving so you can get called by hands like, oh, say... Q2o.

The AQ hand where you "were trying to fold a weak K" is a disaster. See the hand I commented on above as to why. K2 calls you down, great. I would certainly bet less as you do have a decent hand, but you don't need to do ham handed stuff like this. You are better than that.

On the first hand you mentioned I like abandoning on the river. I think that all types of 2-pair hands fold out anyway because they fear the Jack. You aren't really gaining much value and are just punting off if they do have a J. Good check behind imo.

As we discussed on IM, agreed about the AxKd hand. Not a lot of great outcomes for you there I think.

Keep it up and like keep playing even if you, god forbid, WIN.